Theatre For All
Inclusion & Diversity
The Kalamazoo Civic Theatre is actively working to eliminate any real or perceived barriers that could impact any community member's inclusion in the organization - as an audience member or as a volunteer. We at the Civic believe that this is a place where we can come together as a community and celebrate our individuality and embrace our unique talents in a safe and respectful environment.
- Civic patrons who use hearing assistance, are now able to enjoy a Hearing Loop - a system which sends the voices of the performers directly from the Civic's microphones into a patron's hearing aid or cochlear implant. The system provides the clearest, cleanest sound imaginable and does not require a headset, as it works with the T Coil or Telecoil that most hearing aids come equipped with. Patrons will be amazed at how much more they can hear and understand, given the clarity of the sound. The T-Loop system is available in all three of our performance venues.
- American Sign Language interpreters are provided for at least one performance of all of our productions. Please check our calendars for ASL Interpreted performances.
- Large print programs are available upon request from our ushers or box office personnel.
- The Civic makes every effort to make our performance venues accessible to our visually impaired patrons. Audio Described performances involve the accessibility of visual images of a performance for people who are blind, have low vision, or who are otherwise visually impaired. It is a narration service (provided at no additional charge to the patron) that attempts to describe what the sighted person takes for granted. Audio Description is commentary and narration which guides the listener through the presentation with concise, objective descriptions of new scenes, settings, costumes, body language and "sight gags" all slipped in between portions of dialog or songs. There is a limited number of headsets, please make sure to reserve your Audio Description headset when making your reservation. Patrons may use our headphones or use their own, 1/8" jack earphones. Please check our calendars for Audio Described performance dates.
- All three of the Civic's performance venues are wheelchair accessible.
- Sensory-friendly performances are designed to create a performing arts experience that is welcoming to all families or individuals who may have sensory sensitivities. During these performances, patrons enjoy shows together with family and friends in welcoming, inclusive and relaxed spaces. The Civic will provide environmental modifications to these performance which are intended to make a Civic experience more pleasant for everyone. Focus tools and weighted puppies are available to be borrowed at all performances for individuals who may find them helpful.
The Penguin Project
The Kalamazoo Civic is also thrilled to be a chapter of the nationally known Penguin Project - providing youth and young adults with special needs the opportunity to participate in the community theatre experience.
CLICK HERE for more information on The Penguin Project.